Tips for Public Health Professionals:
Managing Your Stress
You can manage and alleviate your stress by taking
time to take care of yourself and seeking out mental
Know How to Relieve Stress
Keep Yourself Healthy:
• Eat healthy foods and drink water.
• Avoid excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol.
• Do not use tobacco or illegal drugs.
• Get enough sleep and rest.
Use Practical Ways to Relax:
• Relax your body often by doing what works for you — take deep
breaths, stretch, meditate, engage in pleasurable hobbies, or
something as simple as washing your face and hands.
• Pace yourself between stressful activities and do something fun after
a hard task.
• Use time off to relax — eat a good meal, read, listen to music, take a
bath or talk to family.
• Talk about your feelings to loved ones and friends.
• Limit exposure to media.
Pay Attention to Your Body, Feelings and Spirit:
• Recognize and heed early warning signs of stress.
• Recognize how your own past experiences affect your way of
handling an event. Focus on the ways you handled previous
stressful events well.
• Connect with your community support.
Centers for Disease Control and
Center for the Study of
Uniformed Services University of
the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD 20814-4799
For additional information,
contact your health care
provider or your local health care