Catch-Up Contributions
Catch-Up Contributions
What are catch-up contributions?
Starting in the year you turn 50, you can make
contributions to your TSP account beyond the regular
contribution maximum. These are called "catch-up
contributions." You can choose to make catch-up
contributions on a traditional (pre-tax) basis or a Roth
(after-tax) basis. It does not matter what type of regular
contributions you are making.
Who is eligible to make catch-up contributions?
To be eligible to make catch-up contributions, you
must be
• age 50 or older during the calendar year in
which the catch-up contributions are made (even
if you become age 50 on December 31 of that
• currently employed and in pay status; and
• making regular contributions to a civilian or
uniformed services TSP account (or both), and/
or an equivalent employer plan (such as a 401(k),
403(b), or 408(k)(6) plan) that will equal the
maximum allowed by the Internal Revenue
Code (IRC). The maximum allowed is subject
to change every year. Visit for current
How much can I contribute to the TSP?
Once you have determined you are eligible, you can
make catch-up contributions up to the IRC catch-up
contribution limit for the year. Visit for the
current limit.
Because catch-up contributions are in addition to your
regular contributions, they do not count against the
IRC elective deferral limit or the total IRC annual
addition limit for the year.
Catch-up contributions apply to the year during
which you made them, even if they are posted to your
account in the following year (i.e., your contributions
for the last pay date in December might not be posted
until January but will be counted toward the limit in
Will I receive any matching contributions on
my catch-up contributions?
No. There are no matching contributions on
catch-up contributions.
Can I make catch-up contributions from
bonus pay?
No. Catch-up contributions can only be made from
basic pay. Bonuses (or, if you are a member of the
uniformed services, special pay or incentive pay) cannot
be applied toward catch-up contributions.
How do I make catch-up contributions?
You can make catch-up contributions only through
payroll deductions. To make catch-up contributions,
you must submit a Catch-Up Contribution Election
(Form TSP-1-C, or Form TSP‑U‑1‑C for members of
the uniformed services) to your agency or service. You
must indicate the dollar amount you would like to
contribute each pay period, and you must self-certify
that you expect to contribute the maximum amount
of regular contributions for the year. You can obtain
Form TSP-1-C from your agency or Form TSP-U-1-C
from your service. Both forms are also available from If your agency or service uses an electronic
version of the form (e.g., on Employee Express,
LiteBlue, EBIS, myPay, or the NFC PPS), you may be
required to submit your election electronically. (Check
with your agency or service for guidance.)
Fact Sheet
TSPFS12 (9/2019)
Previous Editions Obsolete
Related links:

Earning Money Online
IOOF Multimanager Investments
Fundraising Ideas
27 Ways For Stay-at-Home-Moms to Make Money
Roger Federer - Smallest gold coin in the world
This content was uploaded by our users. We assume they did it in good faith and they have the permission to share this document. If you own the copyright to this document and it is wrongfully on our website, we offer a simple DMCA procedure to remove your content from our site. Report Copyright/DMCA form